Thursday 10 May 2012

2.......... pre-op


For 4 weeks Mac was lame on his right hind leg after resting. Never after competing but rather following an exuberant forest romp or ball chase. Looked like a cramp which was “cured” with a warm up stretch and a rub.
After one particular hectic forest romp, I was uneasy with the "cramping" and took him to our local vet. Suspecting hip dysplasia, x-rays were the only alternative.
20th April. D-Day (definitely felt like doom day). Mac's x-rays revealed a "partial cranial cruciate (r) stifle. Treatment plan: 4 - 6 weeks rest, hydro rehab and on lead! Being the ultimate drama queen, I went to pieces and crying was my favourite past time for the next 2 weeks.
How was I going to cope without being able to compete? My life was never going to be the same again! Now I knew what my husband was going thru, trying to retire, but with nothing to do when he did (another blog maybe?)
The hydro therapist advised a 10 min walk/day for the first week and then a 15 min/day walk the next week. On lead, (which meant no herding cars - a separate blog)? It was also suggested that I bulk him up a bit and add protein to his diet.  Being so skinny, (yet another blog), this was a good idea.
The next 2 weeks were so boring they were exhausting. Lindsay must have felt it too as she never stopped telling me "to buck up; remember how he was when u got him; look what you’ve accomplished already; don’t give up"; and so on, and so on.
I did "buck up" and started questioning other professionals which prompted a 2nd opinion from Dr Michael Grey at Panorama Clinic. This was a very different opinion to that of my local vet, (one that was more than expensive than resting!)
4th May. This “news” was a birthday shocker which was compounded with my car packing up. I braved a birthday dinner that my family had organised and close “doggy” friends helped me through some soul searching and realising Mac’s current quality of life, knew I was making a decision. Monday prompted a 3rd professional opinion and lengthy conversations with a professional canine physiotherapist, Marinette Teeling and a handler whose dog had had the same surgery and picked up competing many months later.
My gut feeling was confirmed. Surgery was the best solution and asap.
Mac and Me
C’est-La-Vie

No comments:

Post a Comment