Wednesday 12 June 2013

28.......... the single life .....


I had no idea if being a single dog would have any effect on Mac but it was noticeable. He started withdrawing and seemed to spend more time on his own in the study. He stopped coming into the bedroom and I realised that the only time he had ever come into the bedroom was when Emma was already there. I decided to give him some time as I was just too miserable to work him out and for the second time around, we were healing each other.
The acceptance did not take long and right now the single life for him seems very attractive. He has grown emotionally and his confidence has sky-rocketed!

He stands alert (albeit in the passageway) when he hears Charlie’s car come down the driveway and then goes to lie down for the inevitable biscuit. He gets hysterical when the twins are here, wanting to play with them but nervous of them too and he plays volley ball with all of us. He progressed from staying out of sight in the study to lying on Emma’s cushion behind the couch. As soon as I heard him creep to this spot I would throw treats over the back of the couch to land where he was lying. (If we got up he would scuttle back into the study) until I invited him back. Next month will be the 5th anniversary of Mac’s arrival and he now lies at our feet in the lounge - a massive breakthrough and a wonderful feeling over something usually so normal.
 
Final hurdle: he will seek me out on his own accord instead of me always inviting him.
The thought of a new puppy is a constant in the back of mind. My husband would prefer not to get another dog but if I really have to ............ “then it has to be a Border Collie, a puppy, so no dog with a history please”. The other members of my family would also like me to get a BC as I’m a Border Collie Person - what is that?
I have already turned down a choice from 3 BC litters so what is holding me back? “You will know when it’s the right dog!” Really? How? Why? Will I find a BC that has been as perfect as what I have and have had? Is a big - (slightly larger than small but not a Great Dane) dog the answer for me? I really struggled with lifting Emma; Over 60 and with compromised strength in my arms, suggests a smaller dog might be the better option and why is my family dictating what breed I should get when a working dog is my main criteria?

Time is passing and my ‘Emma shadow’ is missed on a daily basis, but I know the new dog, whatever, it is, will be the right dog for me, I hope it finds me soon, Mac needs a pal.

With this life altering decision whirling around in my head........ having Puppy Academy literally on his doorstep is Mac’s favourite hour of his week. He is an honorary member and on his best behaviour with them, but for now, it’s just ...........

Mac and Me
C’est la vie

No comments:

Post a Comment