Sunday 24 June 2012

13.......... accepting change



So I starved him. One of the toughest things I’ve ever had to do and it lasted for more than 48 hours.
On the 3rd morning, while working at my desk, Mac stood up without invitation and accepted a piece of bread from me. (I had been told that bread (dry) was a “comfort food” for dogs). This was it - I just burst out crying. It was the 4th September 2008.
Unfortunately, a week later the builders arrived and the very next day Stefan and a very pregnant Nicolette arrived back from the UK and moved in. (I can’t even remember where Victoria was asked to sleep). Building alterations included the study where Mac was hiding as well as extending the patio leading to the lawn. I allowed him into our bedroom, and today that is where he creeps into when he’s feeling the slightest bit threatened. It also meant I had to get him out the front door, up the driveway to the lawn in the cul de sac. This time there was no carrying, I literally dragged him the first few times after which he followed meekly on lead. Once loose he would dash into the overgrown indigenous verge to hide before I retrieved him to get him back inside.

I wanted to give Mac a “nicer” outing on one of these occasions, so put him into the car and drove to the dam at the top of the Estate. He mostly just hid in the bushes surrounding the dam but getting him back was proving easier as he was using the boot as an alternative to the study. So as long as I parked with it open and stood back he would jump into it. (He did try and jump into it on two occasions when it wasn’t open! - a Garfield moment). The car is today one of his favourite places, albeit only the boot section.
A long month later Nikki and Stef moved into their Bantry Bay home and the builders limited their noise and movements. (Behind the scenes I became a SADAA judge).
This also meant Mac could go back to the study and back to our own lawn. He started relaxing outside during the day and even half-heartedly attempted to run with Emma when I threw the tennis ball for her.
In the background of Mac’s arrival, me house hunting for Nicolette and Stef, coping with builders and playing chauffer to help Nicolette furnish not only their house but a nursery too, Emma was doing what she wanted to do – concentrate on herself and become a KUSA double champ at her retirement show!
On the 4th November, Matthew and Jake arrived.
Mac once again took advantage and took a back seat while I was once again on the go...........

Mac and Me
C’est la vie

No comments:

Post a Comment