Monday 25 June 2012

14.......... rehab diary

“Consistency, consistency, consistency” - how often has this being my opening speech to beginner handlers? Carrying Mac up and down the steps has got him waiting at the bottom/top of them to be carried! Week 3 relieved me of not having to carry him up/down the inside ones. 2 in-out of study; 2 in-out of lounge; 4 to road outside (cul de sac) or 6 to get to our own garden. My back can’t cope with the steps onto our lawn so it’s out the front only which he prefers anyway.

It wasn’t difficult turning into a slob. No dressing up or makeup, except twice when I’ve been coerced into attending dinners/drinks. Living in Hout Bay is a bonus due to most locals “just coming from the stables.” And the kg I lost, I didn’t lose it - I gave it to Mac!
(New diet plan for the interested: single Weetbix in the morning, slab of chocolate/smoothie for lunch followed by the compulsory evening meal and don’t forget to carry 16kg up and down 4 to 6 steps at least 5 times/day.)

The monster collar is history, but I still use it if I need to go out - it slows down his intention to move around too much.
He has hardly had to be crated but I still consider his “crate training” a success. He goes into it on his own and that’s where he gets most of his treats. Considering he still has metal issues, every time is a “yay!” moment.
House arrest has presented other yay moments: he’s supporting himself on his bionic leg to wee, yay! he’s using it to scratch himself, yay! I have had the advantage of being able to spend most of my days keeping an eye on him and he has become so much more relaxed within the house. He’s not walking away from his food when we move around, yay! he’s allowing us to walk past him in the passage, yay! he allows me to cuddle him while I put him through his exercises, yay! and exactly 1 month post-op, WE were given permission to go for a walk. Twice a day!! Big YAY! Only to “security” and back. (I live on an estate and it’s probably the distance of a “block”.)
He’s allowed to play “catch” while stationery, and as long as he doesn’t bounce on the repaired leg. This has much improved his eye/mouth co-ordination from shocking to very good and he’s no longer afraid of the squeaky!
And one noise he is not sensitive to - the noise my laptop makes when it shuts down! Action!

As for all this idle weekend time.....is there a judge looking for a non-competing scribe? This Saturday morning shopping is killing me. OK, I score, but did I really need another pair of shoes?

Into the 6th week and the progress is obvious. He has a spring in his step and started presenting me with a few night time walk training behaviours. We have been given the all clear to go swimming - breaking new ground - or should I say water.

Mac and Me
C’est la vie


No comments:

Post a Comment