Sunday 3 June 2012

9.......... decisions, decisions .....

I was inconsolable after Amie’s death and focused on Emma who never even noticed Amie was missing!
The next few months were hectically crazy and seemed to pass in a blurry haze.
April:  Exactly 4 weeks after Amie’s death, my daughter, Nicolette and her husband skyped us from the UK, to announce they (modern wording) were pregnant - with twins!! The very next day my younger daughter’s horse had to be put down due to post op complications. Water Warrior (he was actually scared of water when she got him), was our largest family pet, Victoria had had him for 10 years and he was the love of her life.


I took on a new client who needed Pastel Accounting. (Bought the programme, did the course, the whole toot - ugh - chucked it and the client a year later). I got a “dog paw” tattoo in memory of Amie - oh yes! Husband was not impressed, especially when Victoria followed suit with getting a tattoo herself.
Searching for an "answer", I also wasted hundreds of Rands visiting a kinesiologist.

My miserable attitude must have gotten to Lindsay (I get to her a lot), because she offered K-Oz to me. This Aussie and I share a special bond, so I brought her home on appro. Unfortunately, my husband couldn’t cope with her “space issues”, or lack thereof.  Living up to her name, it was nothing for her to get to me via the couch and through Charlie. If only we could share a piece of her wonderful world!



May:  Victoria’s USA Marine boyfriend came to visit, Emma had dental surgery, Lindsay disserted me briefly to compete overseas and at the very end of the month, Cape Town hosted SAAC at The Good hope Centre. Emma (I was unable to complete all qualifying rounds to qualify), was invited to be the white dog in memory of Amie.
June:  At the final KUSA show of the SAAC weekend, I mentioned to Karen Vermaak (Border Collie Heaven), that I might be considering getting another BC, but it had to be completely different to Amie. She immediately mentioned: (#1) a male, (#2) he was a tri-colour, (#3) he had 2 blue eyes.  She also mentioned that he was mentally in a very bad place (if any place at all). A local farmer had literally left him and his father caged, neglected and forgotten, he had a gaping hole at the top of his head (hair has never grown there), compliments of his father. She had already had him for more than a month, was going away soon for 2 months and was concerned about leaving him.
I went to visit him the same week and was not overwhelmed. I’m so used to dogs (most dogs) being happy to see me, especially with my always enthusiastic greeting. This skinny, 8-month, tri-colour wouldn’t make eye-contact and jumped as if he’d been shot at when I closed the container with treats he had already refused. There were other BC’s being very attentive, pleading: “take me, take me”. Karen put this skinny 8 month old pup with her pack, where although remaining at the back did run with them chasing a tennis ball. I left with no thoughts to go back.
During the rest of the month I visited a fellow handler’s Aussie puppies, had dogs offered to me (at a price), considered a “skemonkle” at DARG and my family sensing my pain, came with me to visit Border Collie Heaven for a second time. This visit was no different and we left without being able to “see” this dog that wouldn’t even come within arm’s length.
I will never know what prompted my decision, but that same week I confirmed that he was still available and said I would collect him on my return from Knysna.
I was a long way from wanting to train another dog but maybe …… just maybe…………
Just Me
C’est la vie

No comments:

Post a Comment